ADC, DACs & Mixed-Signal Processing Techniques for Rocket Scientists : A Comparison of Space-Grade Devices
A two-day, training course for design engineers and managers to allow you to make an informed decision and select the most appropriate ADC/DAC for your next mission
Module 1 : Designing with ADCs - Understanding the ADC output spectrum
- Understanding aliasing, folding, the level of the noise floor, the effects of FFT processing gain and coherent sampling.
- Understanding the real meaning of ADC dynamic performance metrics such as SNR, SINAD, SFDR, ENOB, THD, NPR and IMD.
- Understanding the effects of clock jitter, thermal noise and clumping on ADC performance.
Module 2 : Designing with DACs - Understanding the DAC output spectrum
- Understanding zero-order hold, the sinc roll-off and spectral images.
- Understanding interpolating DACs, pre & post equalisation and return-to-zero RF DACs
- Understanding the effects of clock jitter and clumping on DAC performance.
Module 3 : Dynamic Testing of ADCs and DACs
- Introducing Arbitrary Waveform Generators for ADC Testing
- Single-tone testing of ADCs and DACs
- Introducing the Noise - Power Ratio (NPR) test - the definitive dynamic test!
- Understand wideband testing of ADCs for telecommunication applications.
- Understand wideband testing of DACs for telecommunication applications.
Module 4 : Mixed-Signal Processing Techniques
- Understanding ADCs/DACs specifications for wideband RF standards.
- Bandpass Sampling-Direct IF/RF digitisation using wideband ADCs-eliminating stages of RF down-conversion!
- Direct frequency up-conversion using return-to-zero DACs-eliminating stages of RF up-conversion!
- Serial I/O ADCs/DACs
- I/Q Sampling, Time-interleaved ADCs-increasing the effective sampling rate!
Module 5 : A Comparison of Space-Grade ADCs & DACs : Part 1
- A comparison of broadband, GSPS, space-grade ADCs
- A comparison of broadband, GSPS, space-grade DACs
Module 6 : A Comparison of Space-Grade ADCs & DACs : Part 2
- A comparison of MSPS, space-grade ADCs
- A comparison of MSPS, space-grade DACs
Module 7 : Analogue Front-End and Back-End Design
- Passive and active analogue front and back-end design
- Balun and passives selection
- RF matching
- Pre-layout simulation and verification
Module 8 : Mixed-Signal System & Hardware Design Considerations
- Clocking and powering your ADC and DAC
- PCB best design and layout practices to ensure good signal integrity.
- PCB best design and layout practices to achieve maximum mixed-signal performance
- Post-layout simulation and verification